May 27, 2014

Crochet Toddler Blanket Pattern

Usually my son takes no notice of things that I make. He is supremely unimpressed by it all, and I don't blame him. He's a little boy! So if I ever do make something that he gets excited about, it really makes me happy. This was one of those things. Now when people come over, he invites them to, "Come look at my new room! Mom made it for me."


The blanket fits perfectly on the IKEA Gulliver bed.

It takes about 5-10 minutes to do a row, depending how fast you are. So a couple of rows here and there, on car trips, while watching your favorite show, and it's really not so daunting. And the pattern is as simple as they come. It really only consists of a chain and then one stitch- HDC (half double crochet). There are all sorts of tutorials on YouTube. You could really start learning to crochet today and be making this blanket by tomorrow!

Here is the pattern that I used:

Materials:
size J crochet hook
Red Heart Super Saver small skein of yarn in 6 colors
(You could use any worsted weight yarn, this kind isn't as soft as some but you can't beat the price.)

Row 1: Chain 180
Row 2: HDC in 2nd chain from hook, HDC all the way across, chain 2 and turn
Row 3: HDC across, ch 2 and turn (178 stitches)
Rows 4-16: same as row 3
Rows 17-32: repeat rows 2-16 in a new color (switching colors can be scary at first, there are lots of tutorials for that too)
Etc.

So basically the entire blanket is just HDC stitches, with 16 rows of each color and six colors total, making 98 rows. And that's it!


2 comments:

  1. What kind of yarn did you use? The only blanket I've every attempted is scratchy and itchy. Yours looks nice and inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's all Red Heart Super Saver and it's pretty soft, except for the navy, strangely. I must have accidentally gotten the wrong kind for that one. I've also noticed that it gets softer the more he uses it.

    ReplyDelete